Some more interesting facts:
- The Pharm. Industry spends about $19 billion on gifts to physicians every year.
- "Free Samples" greatly influence physicians' prescribing practices and negatively influence the care patients receive.
- The pharmaceutical industry collectively spends more on marketing than on research and development.
- The cost of marketing is passed onto patients in the form of higher drug prices
- Worldwide, only 25% of HIV+ patients needing treatment actually are receiving the life-saving medications that have been developed
- Many of the diseases that affect 90% of the world's population only receive 10% of the research and development funds because they predominantly affect poor people (the so-called "neglected diseases")
- The price of existing medicines remains one of the major barriers to access around the world.